Hooksett,NH Fire-Rescue Banner
 
 
Home
EMS
Operations
Personnel
Stations
Apparatus
Documents
Fire Permits
Fire Prevention
Permits and Fees
Satisfaction Survey
Mission / Philosophy
Communications
Honor Guard
Links
FAQ's

Town of Hooksett
Emergency Management
Hooksett Police

CARBON MONOXIDE RESOURCES

DEALING WITH CARBON MONOXIDE EMEREGNCIES AT HOME
  1. Before the emergency, install a CO Detector, preferably one that plugs in with battery backup. Place them at all levels in the home especially near the sleeping areas. Review the document that is shipped with your detector, learn the alarm codes, document when the detector was installed and the date of the battery changes.

  2. Have all your fossil fuel burning equiptment serviced by qualiified technicials and at recommended intervals to ensure proper operation. These items use oil, gas, wood, wood pellets, kerosene, gasoline. Use this equipment per operation instructions.

  3. Do NOT allow any vehicle or any small gas engine (lawnmower, chain saw) to run inside the building. Also keep your generators at a safe distance from the house according to manufacturers recomendations

  4. Learn the signs and symptons associated with Carbon Monoxide exposure. Upon activation of the CO alarm or presentation of symptoms in one or more occupants with in the building of CO exposure, leave the building at once. Stay clear of the building until fire officiails can determine the cause. Sympoms include Headaches, nausea, dizziness, confusion, inability to remain awake. The young and the elderly and those with compromised respiratory systems are most vulnerable.

Use these resources to learn more about Carbon Monoxide and how to act appropriatly in the event of an exposure. ALWAYS call 911 if there is a concern of CO exposure.

Techniques to reduce the risk of CO poisoning in your home when using fuel-burning devices include:

  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.
  • Install CO alarm(s) with battery backup outside of sleeping areas.
  • Test your CO alarm(s) frequently and replace dead batteries.
  • Do not use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.
  • Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
  • Do not use any gasoline-powered engines, such as portable generators, in enclosed spaces, including your garage and locate them at least 10 feet from your house with the exhaust facing away from the building.
  • Do not idle your vehicle inside a garage.
  • Do not sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.
  • Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
Centers For Disease Control
Carbon Monoxide FAQs
Carbon Monoxide Information
CO and Furnaces
CO and Generators
 
NFPA Publications
Carbon Monoxide Safety
Generator Safety
Grilling Safety
Heating Safety
 
Web Sites With CO Information
Consumer Product Safety Commission
Environmental Protection Agency
US Fire Administration
Home Safe
 

  All Content Copyright; 2005-Present
All Rights Reserved
Hooksett Fire - Rescue Department - 15 Legends Drive - Hooksett, NH 03106
(603) 623-7272   (603) 626-6742 fax   INFORMATION
Updated April 30, 2017 
=